History of the Printed Newspaper
The newspaper has been a part of our daily life for several centuries. They have been a way for the public to be informed of important events that are occurring around the world. Newspapers have undergone dramatic changes over the course of history. Some of the earliest newspapers date back to Ancient Rome where important announcements were carved in stone tablets and placed in highly populated areas where citizens could be informed of the announcements.
Over the centuries, newspapers have undergone many changes. The biggest change was printing them on newsprint and use of the printing press. By automating the production of the newspaper, the number of papers available to the public greatly increased, while making it affordable for people to purchase one. These developments led to a boom in the newspaper industry where several different newspapers started to appear in major cities, publishing morning, afternoon and evening editions. These papers gave readers news, weather, sports and other features that informed and entertained them.
However, over the course of time, newspaper costs continued to rise and the number of newspaper subscribers continued to fall. This led to a vast reduction in the number of newspapers and newspaper editions in every market. In addition, with the increase in the use of technology, the public no longer needed the newspaper for its source of information. Other media such as radio, television and the Internet started to replace the paper as an information source.
In recent years, newspapers and other media have adapted to the changing technology environment by starting to offer online editions to cater to the needs of the public. In the future, the trend towards more electronic delivery of the news will continue with more emphasis on the Internet, social media and other electronic delivery methods. However, while the method of delivery is changing, the newspaper and the industry still has a niche in the world.
- Newspaper History – Page providing a brief history of the newspaper and the new industry over time.
- Natural History of the Newspaper – Historical publication which traces the history of the newspaper.
- Brief History – Informative look at the history of the newspaper dating back to early news from 59 B.C.
- History of Newspapers – Helpful article which provides a look at important events in the history of newspapers.
- Newspaper History Timeline – Listing of important events in the history of the newspaper industry dating back to the late 1600’s.
First U.S. Newspapers
- History of U.S. Newspapers – Useful article with information on the early newspapers in the United States.
- Historical Newspapers – Historic look at the history of newspapers in America from the late 1600’s.
- Historical U.S. Newspapers – Online listing of resources and information on some historic newspapers in the United States.
- American Historical Newspapers – Informative page from Cornell University which discusses and lists some important newspaper resources.
- America’s First Newspaper – Helpful page which dates the beginnings of the first newspaper in the United States.
- First Newspapers – Web page which discusses the first newspapers that were created in the United States.
- The Printing Press – A look at the invention which helped change the newspaper industry.
- History of Printing – Historical perspective on how the printing press changed the way the world communicated.
- Printing Timeline – Educational look at a timeline of various types of printing dating back several thousand years B.C.
- Journalism Timeline – Useful page which covers many important moments in American journalism due to the printing press.
- Printing Yesterday and Today – Informative site which discusses how newspapers were printed in the past and today.
- History of the Printing Press – Helpful information on the invention of the printing press and its developments in time.
- The History of the Press – Information on the invention and development of the printing press in the printing industry.
Advancements in Newspaper Printing
- Newspaper History – Overview of the history of the newspaper industry.
- History of Newspaper and Printing – Information on the history and developments in printing of newspapers.
- Museum of Printing History – Informative site which covers the history of the printing industry in time.
- History of Offset Printing – Useful information on a common type of printing that was done in the industry.
- Web Offset Printing – Educational look at offset printing using technology.
- Newspaper Technology – Helpful article which discusses many of the technological advances in the newspaper industry.
Online and Future of Newspapers
- Future of Newspapers – Informative review about the bright future of the newspaper industry.
- The Future of the Newspaper – Forbes article outlining the future of the newspaper.
- Newspaper Review – Helpful page which covers the history of the newspaper as viewed from the past.
- Future of Newspapers – Information on the future of newspapers through the use of technology.
- Digital Newspaper Program – Useful source of information on digital newspapers of the past and present.
- Digital Future of Newspapers – Web page which gives a look at how newspapers can utilize digital technology.